5 Analog Items That Are Replacing My Screen Time

(Note: This was first published on Medium back in June 24th)

Introduction —

Don’t get started on how dominant digital technology is on our world.

Its responsible for almost every aspect of our life. Work, relaxation, entertainment, fitness, alarms, apps, videos, information, news, you name it.

While being positively transformative in numerous ways, this has lead to a negative trade off which is increased screen usage.

I’ve fallen victim to huge screen time use and I’ve wanted to find activates that weren’t on screens but were still just as effective for everyday tasks.

One day, I was scrolling through my YouTube feed and I stumbled upon a video which particularly captivated me.

The title said: Analog items that are changing my life

After watching it, I wanted to give it a shot and bought some of the analogue things the video recommended.

Long story short, this was one of the best decisions I’ve made as my screen time halved within the span of a month.

Analog items are physical, non digital items that operate without Wi-Fi, batteries, or screens. What makes them special and unique in this day and age is for their slow, intentional use creating a lifestyle more purposeful and focused than being scattered on a screen. The easiest analogue item that comes into mind are cameras.

But, I want to create a list of analogue items beyond just cameras or basic things. I want to share analogue items which have truly transformed my time.

Here are 5 analogue items which have provided me so much value and may give you value as well.

№. 1: Timer πŸ•—

Weather it was focusing or waking up, I use to hate the alarm sounds on analogue clocks.

Press enter or click to view image in full size

The irritable jittering of the metallic ding would make me want to toss it away into the ancient wasteland of vintage rubbish praying that it’d never see the light of day again.

However, the analogue clock today is like my go-to delicacy. Their a freak of nature. From the aesthetic and smooth red button to set the timer to the timeless chime made by the clock’s bell, it has replaced my usage on screen time and could to for yours.

Press enter or click to view image in full size

Today, the world promises digital apps stating that their timers will completely transform your focus only for users to realise how complicated the UI is and how distracting they can still be in its advertisements, links, and other useless features taking up the menu.

An analogue clock ripples through this by having only one intention.

Setting timers. No distraction. no annoying features.

Set up the timer, do your work. Analog clocks are also extremely reliable compared to digital systems since you can easily change the timer.

The best part if the psychological boast of an analogue timer. The fact time is running literally acts as a way to get into flow state and concentrate on the task you need to get done acting as an excellent motivator.

Go to your local store and see what kind of clocks they offer. I’m sure you’ll find a clock you’ll feel at home with.

№. 2: NotebookπŸ““

In my opinion, this has to be the king of the list. The classic, cost-effective notebook. Versatile and convenient.

Before I unearthed the world of analogue replacements for digital ones, I’ve used the notebook countless times for school and work. However, I was only using them just for the general things such as completing tasks for work so I wouldn’t get in trouble or recording random details.

However, I wasn’t discovering the other side of notebooks. The part where you unleash creative freedom and own that notebook as a banquet of your mind — writing, journaling, studying, drawing, notetaking, planning, and the list goes on.

I like to use my notebooks for journaling. After doing it for a couple years, I can certainly say I’ve gotten to learn my self better and manage my life productively and positively.

Press enter or click to view image in full size

What about you?

Why don’t you have the thrill to experiment with a notebook. See where it leads you.

№. 3: Board Games 🎲

When you think of entertainment, people would probably think movies, video games, or television. This would involve looking at a screen.

Although, not inherently bad, this could lead to negative effects such as eye strain, sleep disruption, overstimulation, and poor posture. These negative effects are what I suffered from as I stared my eyeballs on a screen all day on random entertainment.

For a long time, I wanted entertainment just without the screens and perhaps some socialisation involved.

That has brought me to the classic board games.

Remember when you played bored games? You were probably a young kid just having fun blasting cards to win, rolling parched-wooden dices like it determined the fate of the world, or crashing out over a game of monopoly.

Playing these board games again felt so rewarding. The tactile part of playing board games and the socialisation I get feels so refreshing in the age of digital entertainment.

Press enter or click to view image in full size
Recently, I’ve been coming back to play games such as Chess, checkers, and playing cards.

There are so many types of board games for different people and their interest such as strategy, abstract, party, role playing, mystery game, and countless more.

What I and many have adored about board games is the numerous amount of benefits it possesses such as improved memory and focused, emotional resilience, protection against brain aging, reasoning, and functioning all while having lots of fun.

You don't have to go cold turkey by quitting the screens completely. Every now and again, why not try and hit up a couple board games with some mates or that amigo you haven’t spoken to in a while?

№. 4: Pocket Journal πŸ—’️

A pocket journal is my everyday recorder.

You know when you have a good idea, but then forget it soon after - leaving it in the dust of what that idea could’ve led to?

Ya, I was one of those absent minded creatures.

Pocket journals gave me the freedom to write down any thoughts, ideas, feelings or notes on anything that popped into my head. If I wanted to come back to them in the future for reference, no problem.

In addition, they were extremely reliable. You could carry them anywhere you’d like and much more simpler than complicated web browsers and apps to store your notes and ideas.

Imagine having all your ideas on paper in an object about the size of your phone.

Also, there's something so aesthetic and timeless about writing down things on pocket journals. You genuinely feel like a poly-math genius calculating your next move on paper.

I encourage you to experiment with a pocket journal and see what ideas you can come to.

Press enter or click to view image in full size

№. 5: Parallettes πŸ’ͺ

An analogue items list feels wrong without something that doesn’t get our bodies moving.

Our bodies are like sacred jars. Don’t care for the condition of the jar and it breaks and the things it stores can’t be stored there anymore.

Plato once said:

“Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise saves it and preserves it.”

Press enter or click to view image in full size

Unfortunately, many people don’t have access to a gym or heavy equipment due to location and expenses. For I while, this discouraged me from working out and building my dream physique… Not until I discovered parallette bars.

Parallettes are small, portable bars used in calisthenics, bodyweight training, and gymnastics. They give you access to a range of exercises to do all manipulating just your bodyweight. They’re like the substitute to not having access to a gym or costly machines.

Ever since I’ve bought my first pair of parallettes, I've never stopped using it. Before, I use to spend all day on the laptop doom scrolling long form content like it was my 9–5 job.

But with my parallettes, I’d work out on in my room using them every couple of days.

Push ups, diamond push ups, dips, decline push ups, archer push ups, l-sits, frog stands, handstands, elbow levers, you name it.

I was even able to do bodyweight rows by sticking the bars side of my paralletts with sticky tack on a sturdy desk shoulder width apart. I’d grab on underneath the desk and boom!

Soon, this style of working out evolved into what is and what could always be my main form of strength training: Calisthenics

Press enter or click to view image in full size
Kalos (beauty), Sthenos (strength)

Parallettes allowed my body to get moving and for those who want to get their bodies moving from the comfort of their home, I recommend buying parallettes. If they’re too expensive or can’t get your hands on one for whatever reason, buy push up bars — works the same way.

Conclusion -

As we’ve explored, analogue items have greatly replaced my screentime.

A timer for focus, a notebook for creativity, board games for entertainment, a pocket notebook as an everyday dummy phone, and parallettes for movement.

People are looking for something new and slow to do in the midst of the noisy world of technology and analogue items perfectly complements those needs. The intention and value they provide all for cheap prices makes them highly valuable and resourceful products.

Press enter or click to view image in full size

What do you think? Did I miss anything on the list? Let me know in the comments below.

I greatly encourage you to try some of these items and see what difference it makes in your everyday life and your relationship with screens.

Cheers, Mathias Lakan πŸ₯‚

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, who even am I?

Why No One Cares About The Birthday Anymore